Return to lovetolearnplace.com
Return to General Homeschooling Message Board
PDF File Christian Education (includes Table of Contents)
See A Truly Christian Curriculum by Quentin Johnston
|The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments:
His praise endureth for ever.
|Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5|
Christian Education: What is it?
|The end ... of learning is to repair the ruins of our first parents [i.e., Adam and Eve] by regaining to know God aright, and out of that knowledge to love Him, to imitate Him, and to be like Him.
A Christian education is one that...
(a) A Christian education trains a child along in each academic discipline, building upon skills learned and mastered ... "precept upon precept; line upon line" Isaiah 28:10.
(b) A Christian education aides the covenant child to understand the relationship between what they are learning in academics, the "real" world, and their duties as Christians; specifically, the Dominion Mandate or Cultural Mandate (in the older testament) and the Great Commission (in the newer testament) as Christians are called to disciple and govern the world thinking their thoughts after God.
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 1 Corinthians 1:19,20
(c) A Christian education trains up warriors for the Faith preparing them to take dominion as we have been commanded in all areas of life; e.g., history, math, science, language arts, civics, business, economics, etc. This learning and training prepares covenant children to transmit the power of the Christian worldview into a lifetime of practical Christian action (faith without works is dead). Each covenant child has a mission to fulfill.
|But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. James 1:25|
(d) A Christian education is vital in the continuity of transferring God's covenant from generation to generation (Deuteronomy 31:1 to 34:12). Christian parents rear their children with the knowledge and expectation that they will hold fast to what they have been taught and continue to work for God's covenantal people for His glory.
(e) A Christian education provides a covenant witness for parents (Deuteronomy 4:9 "to teach them all this law thy sons, and thy sons' sons"), raising up a new generation with knowledge of and a commitment to God's Law-Word.
(f) A Christian education helps parents to fulfil their covenantal duty to their children (Deuteronomy 6:7) as they are commanded to teach the Word of God in formal and informal settings with the goal of relating all knowledge to God's authority --- all spheres of thought are under God's authority.
(g) A Christian education operates under God's covenantal sanctions (Deuteronomy 11:19). God's commands concerning the training of our covenantal children are not idle suggestions.
Dr. R. J. Rushdoony cited Julius B. Maller writing, "Since holiness is not a self-generating act but requires a conformity to God's law and righteousness, an ignorant man cannot be saintly .... Knowledge is not self-generating, and the meaning of factuality comes not from the facts but from the Creator." (Institute of Biblical Law, p. 185). Dr. Rushdoony continues later with, "Education in the law is basic to and inseparable both from obedience to the law and from worship. Anything other than a Biblically grounded schooling is thus an act of apostasy for the believer."
|I am much afraid that the schools will prove to be wide gates to hell unless they diligently labour in explaining the Holy Scriptures, engraving them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the Scriptures do not reign paramount. Every institution in which men are not constantly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt.
I. Education --- instruction in knowledge
|1. Parents ... Ephesians 6:4b ... but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord
2. Tutors ... Galatians 4:2,3 ... But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.
3. Teachers ... 2 Chronicles 17:8,9 ... And with them he sent Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobiajah, and Tobadonijah, Levites; and with them Elisama and Jehoram, priests. And they taught in Judah, and had the book of the law of the LORD with them, and went about throughout all the cities of Judah, and taught the people.
4. Learned men ... Acts 22:3 ... I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
|1. Sharing ... Galatians 6:6 ... Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
2. Recalling God's works ... Psalm 78:1-8 ... Give ear, O my people, to My law: incline your ears to the words of My mouth. I will open My mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old: Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and His strength, and His wonderful works that He hath done. For He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments: And might not be as their fathers, a stuborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.
3. Learning from nature ... Proverbs 6:6-11 ... Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard ? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
4. Step by step ... Isaiah 28:10 ... For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
5. Asking questions ... Luke 2:46 ... And it came to pass, that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
|1. Moses ... Acts 7:22 ... And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.
2. Daniel ... Daniel 1:17 ... As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
3. Paul ... Acts 22:3 ... I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
4. Timothy ... 2 Timothy 3:15, 16 ... And that from a child thou has known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
|1. Parents ... Deuteronomy 6:6-25 ... And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates. And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which He sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not, And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full; Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve Him, and shalt swear by His Name. Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you; (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth. Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah. Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the LORD your God, and His testimonies, and His statutes, which He hath commanded thee. And thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the LORD: that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest go in and possess the good land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, To cast out all thine enemies from before thee, as the LORD hath spoken. And when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What mean the testimonies, and the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD our God hath commanded you? Then thou shalt say unto thy son, We were Pharaoh's bondmen in Egypt, with a mighty hand; and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand: And the LORD shewed signs and wonders, great and sore, upon Egypt, upon Paraoh, and upon all his household, before our eyes. And He brought us out from thence, that He might bright us in, to give us the land which He sware unto our fathers. And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive, as it is at this day. And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as He hath commanded us.
2. Priests ... Deuteronomy 24:8 ... Take heed in the plague of leprosy, that thou observe diligently, and do according to all that the priests the Levites shall teach you: as I commanded them, so ye shall observe to do.
3. Prophets ... Jeremiah 32:33 ... And they have turned unto Me the back, and not the face: though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.
4. Preachers ... Ephesians 4:11 ... And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evalgelists; and some, pastors and teachers.
5. Pedagogues ... Neh. 8:7,8 ... Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Keliata, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place. So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
6. the Holy Spirit ... John 14:26 ... But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
|1. Nature ... Job 12:7-10 ... But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee. Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the LORD hath wrought this? In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
2. Human nature ... Proverbs 24:30-34 ... So I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down. Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction. Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.
3. Law ... Romans 2:18 ... And knowest His will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law.
4. Proverbs ... Proverbs 1:1-30
5. Songs ... Deuteronomy 32:1-44
6. History ... 1 Corinthians 10:1-11 ... Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them, as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonistion, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
7. God's Word ... 2 Timothy 3:15, 16 ... And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
|1. Natural .... Matthew 24:32 ... Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh.
2. Deceptive ... Genesis 3:5 ... For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
3. Sinful ... Genesis 3:7 ... And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
4. Personal ... Joshua 24:31 ... And Israel served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that overlived Joshua, and which had known all the works of the LORD, that He had done for Israel.
5. Practical ... Exodus 36:1 ... Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded.
6. Experimental ... Ex. 14:4,18 ... And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD. And they did so ... And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I have gotten Me honour upon Pharaoh, upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen.
7. Unfriendly ... Exodus 1:8 ... Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
8. Intiutive ... 1 Samuel 22:22 ... And David said unto Abiathar, I knew it that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul: I have occasioned the death of all persons of thy father's house.
9. Intellectual ... John 7:15,28 ... And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned? ... Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying, Ye both know Me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of Myself, but He that sent Me is true, whom ye know not.
10. Saving ... John 17:3 ... And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent.
11. Spiritual ... 1 Corinthians 2:14 ... But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
12. Revealed ... Luke 10:22 ... All things are delivered to Me of My Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and He to whom the Son will reveal Him.
|1. God ... Psalm 94:10 ... He that chastiseth the heathen, shall not He correct? He that teacheth man knowledge, shall not He know?
2. Nature ... Psalm 19:2 ... Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3. Scriptures ... 2 Timothy 3:15 ... And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
4. Experimentation ... John 7:17 ... If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of Myself.
|1. Not to be puffed up ... 1 Corinthians 8:1 ... Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2. Should grow in ... 2 Peter 3:18 ... But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
3. Should add to ... 2 Peter 1:5 ... And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge.
4. Not to be forgetful of ... 2 Peter 3:17 ... Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness.
5. Accept our limitations of knowledge ... 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 ... Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there shall be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
6. Be filled with ... Philippians 1:9 ... And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment.
7. Make it practical ... James 3:13 ... Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you ? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
|1. Turn from ... Romans 1:21 ... Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
2. Ignorant ... 1 Corinthians 1:21 ... For after that in the wisdom of God the world by widom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
3. Exalt against ... 2 Corinthians 10:5 ... Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
4. Reject the light of ... Romans 1:28 ... And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.
5. Never able to come to ... 2 Timothy 3:7 ... Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
|1. parents ... Deuteronomy 11:19 ... And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
2. Levites ... Leviticus 10:11 ... And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.
3. Ancestors ... Jeremiah 9:14 ... But have walked after the imagination of their own heart, and after Baalim, which their fathers taught them.
4. Disciples ... Matthew 28:19 ... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
5. Matrons ... Titus 2:3 ... The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things.
6. Nature .... 1 Corinthians 11:14 ... Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
|1. Combined with preaching ... Matthew 4:23 ... And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
2. Divine calling ... Ephesians 4:11 ... And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers.
3. Necessary for officers ... 1 Timothy 3:2 ... A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.
4. Necessary for ministers ... 2 Timothy 2:24-26 ... And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
5. From house to house ... Acts 20:20 ... And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house.
6. By catechizing ... Galatians 6:6 ... Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
|1. God's way ... Psalm 27:11 ... Teach me Thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
2. God's path ... Psalm 25:4,5 ... Shew me Thy ways, O LORD; and teach me Thy paths. Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on Thee do I wait all day.
3. God's law ... Psalm 119:12, 26, 66 ... Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me Thy statutes ... I have declared my ways and Thou heardest me: teach me Thy statutes ... Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed Thy commandments.
4. God's will ... Psalm 143:10 ... Teach me to do Thy will; for thou art my God; Thy Spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
5. Holiness ... Titus 2:12 ... Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and wordly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.
6. Spiritual truths ... Hebrews 8:12 ... For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
|1. False prophets ... Isaiah 9:15-17 ... The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed. Therefore the Lord shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for every one is an hypocrite and an evil-doer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.
2. False priests ... Micah 3:11 ... The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us ? none evil can come upon us.
3. Traditionalists ... Matthew 15:9 ... But in vain they do worhship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
4. Judaizers ... Acts 15:1 ... And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
5. False teachers ... 1 Timothy 4:1-3 ... Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
6. False believers ... 2 Timothy 4:3,4 ... For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
7. False "schools" ... 2 Timothy 3:7 ... Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
A. Kinds of Tests
B. Purpose of Tests
The purpose of testing from a Christian worldview presupposition.
1) God tests us (see above Scripture references)
2) Testing is an experience where the child is actively involved. Character traits and qualities IMMEDIATELY come to the forefront --- some good and some bad.
|That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:7|
3) Testing helps a child see his need of our Sovereign King and Redeemer, weaknesses, need for work with respect to some character traits, and his need for education.
|Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. James 1:3|
4) Some parents remind their covenant children how VERY fortunate that their tests are merely paper/pencil and/or oral tests! As an adult, this situation will be changed. These simple paper/pencil and oral tests will prepare them in the future when our King pulls a pop quiz, exam or final !
|Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24|
Cultural Mandate (what God said to Adam and Eve) ... And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. (Genesis 1:28)
Dominion Mandate (what God said to Noah after the Flood) ... And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. (Genesis 9:1)
Great Commission (Jesus' command that reaffirmed the Cultural and Dominion Mandates) ... And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 18:18-20)
Return to top
Request: If you would like to see other Scripture in the above outlines, please identify WHERE in the outline and WHAT passage (chapter and verse) via