Return to Love to Learn Place
Return to General Homeschooling Message Board
Return to Literary Guild Index Page
|The Screwtape Letters with Screwtape Proposes a Toast
Revised Edition © 1961
by C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
Collier Books, Macmillan Publishing Company
866 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
ISBN # 0-02-086740-9
Why an unabridged audiobook for The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis? John Cleese is able to perform the nuances of The Screwtape Letters to such an extent that even young children are able to gleen important lessons and enjoy the performance. Cleese's performance of C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters is positively brilliant.
|The Screwtape Letters
by C. S. Lewis
Read and performed by John Cleese
© 1988, 1999
370 West San Bruno
San Bruno, CA 94066
ISBN # 1-57453-261-8
4 hours, unabridged, 3 cassettes
Screwtape Letters Preparation
Briefly, review ...
1) ... the 5 "I wills" or the reasons why Satan was kicked out of heaven (he wanted to usurp God's power)
2) ... Satan is an archangel.
3) ... the opposite of Satan are the archangels Michael and Gabriel.
4) ... God is not the opposite of Satan ... that is just another of Screwtape's lies.
5) ... Satan is not all powerful (omnipotent), all present (omnipresent), or all knowing (omniscient). Only God is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and sovereign. There is no one above God. Again the idea that Satan is all-powerful is just another of Screwtape's lies.
6) Jonathan Edwards' sermon Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
Screwtape Letter Worksheets
The following The Screwtape Letters worksheets were used for the Literary Guild held in November 1999. The worksheets were updated and revised in 2002.
|Preface PDF File
Letter 1 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 2 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 3 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 4 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 5 Worksheet PDF File
|Letter 6 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 7 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 8 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 9 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 10 Worksheet PDF File
|Letter 11 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 12 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 13 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 14 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 15 Worksheet PDF File
|Letter 16 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 17 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 18 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 19 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 20 Worksheet PDF File
|Letter 21 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 22 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 23 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 24 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 25 Worksheet PDF File
|Letter 26 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 27 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 28 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 29 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 30 Worksheet PDF File
Letter 31 Worksheet PDF File
Toast Preface Worksheet PDF File
Toast Worksheet PDF File
For an interesting take in verse or poem form see Lucifer in Starlight
Scriptural Helps: Satan/Devil Cheat Sheet PDF File Handout
Here basic scriptural back up for what the Bible has to say about the devil including satan's designs, character, methods, power over wicked, how he tries to tempt believers, believer's power over satan/devil, Christ's triumph over satan/devil, judgment of satan, origin, and various names
1. Blessed are those who are too tired, too busy, too distracted to spend an hour once a week with their fellow Christians they are my best workers.
2. Blessed are those Christians who wait to be asked and expect to be thanked I can use them.
3. Blessed are the touchy who stop going to church they are my missionaries.
4. Blessed are the trouble makers they shall be called my children.
5. Blessed are the complainers I'm all ears to them.
6. Blessed are those who are bored with the minister's mannerisms and mistakes for they get nothing out of his sermons.
7. Blessed is the church member who expects to be invited to his own church for he is a part of the problem instead of the solution.
8. Blessed are those who gossip for they shall cause strife and division that please me.
9. Blessed are those who are easily offended for they will soon get angry and quit.
10. Blessed are those who do not give their offering to carry on God's work for they are my helpers.
11. Blessed is he who professes to love God but hates his brother and sister for he shall be with me forever.
12. Blessed are you who, when you read this, think it is about other people and not yourself I've got you too!
How To Be Perfectly Miserable
1. Think about yourself.
2. Talk about yourself.
3. Use the personal pronoun "I" as often as possible in your conversation.
4. Mirror yourself continually in the opinion of others.
5. Listen greedily to what people say about you.
6. Insist on consideration and respect.
7. Demand agreement with your own views on everything.
8. Sulk if people are not grateful to you for favors shown them.
9. Never forget a service you may have rendered.
10. Expect to be appreciated.
11. Be suspicious.
12. Be sensitive to slights.
13. Be jealous and envious.
14. Never forget a criticism.
15. Trust nobody but yourself.
Capture the Word Game (used for vocabulary words)
by Barbara C
1) Select words your scholar may not know the meaning of and write them on the front of an index card.
2) Look them up in a dictionary having your home schooled scholar writing the defintion of the word on the back of the card.
3) Study these vocabulary words
4) Play "Capture the Word" two-player card game
To do this, each player will have their own stack of cards and either show the definition or the word to the opponent. The player will need to answer what the other side of the card says. If correct, the player "Captures the Word". The first one who captures all of the cards is the winner.
For more than two players ...
1) Spread 13 or more vocabulary cards on a table (the more vocabulary cards the better!)
2) The first player chooses a card and tells what is on the other side of it. If the player is correct, s/he "captures the word". If not, the card is placed back on the table.
3) The next player takes a turn, but CANNOT choose the card that the previous player missed.
4) Game ends when all of the cards are captured or until a given time limit is reached. The person with the most cards wins.
1828 Webster Dictionary
Help with The Seven Deadly Sins